How to Find an Internship
There are many different ways students can find experiential learning opportunities. Some of the most common ways students find these opportunities include:
Online Job Boards
- CAREERLINK: This is an internship and job board that is solely for NDSU students and alumni. Start searching for opportunities today by logging into your CAREERLINK account. Simply follow the link and use your electronic ID to gain access into the system.
- The NDSU Career and Advising Center hosts several career fairs and expos throughout the year. All employers who attend these fairs must have open internships or full-time employment positions open within their company. Many of the employers also conduct on-campus interviews the days following the expos. This is a great way to interview for multiple positions within a short amount of time. **Use the Career Fair Plus App to see the list of employers who are attending upcoming fairs and look on CAREERLINK for the employers who are holding on-campus interviews (OCIs).
Employer Information Sessions
- The NDSU Career and Advising Center brings many employers to campus each year. Some employers will hold information or tabling sessions in order to get to know the students at NDSU. These are great opportunities to learn about different companies and hear about open positions. You can find these events on CAREERLINK or on MyNDSU.
- Network, network, network! I’m sure you’ve all heard the saying, “It’s who you know, not what you know” that gets you a job. Well, there is some truth to that saying. Sometimes personal connections (like faculty, family, friends, or other organizations) are the best way to find out about internship opportunities. As you are going through the internship search process, make sure to start by asking your personal network for suggestions and advice. Many times just reaching out to a distant relative or a professor you had your freshman year can be surprisingly helpful. They may just know of a company or another connection who is seeking an intern in your area of study!
- LinkedIn can be a great place to search for internships and learn more about individual companies and company culture. Many times employers will also list available internship positions on their news feed. This is a great way for you to connect with other students or NDSU alumni who also worked for or are working for a particular company. To learn more about building a LinkedIn profile, check out our LinkedIn resources page here.
- Students can also find great opportunities through self-guided research. This often times involves extensive online searches and research on individual companies. You can also check out the list of Additional Internship Resources below.