Thank you for your interest in participating in NDSU’s Internship Program!
*While each program may have unique criteria to meet their internship requirements, below is the baseline criteria:
- The intern is assigned a supervisor who will provide mentorship and guidance to the student. This individual must be willing to provide feedback to the intern and complete any performance evaluations necessary for the student’s program.
- Internship tasks are professional in nature and relevant to the intern’s area of study or targeted career goals.
- The intern is covered under the employer’s worker’s compensation insurance.
- Internships are paid (at least an ND minimum wage [currently $7.25] or higher). IF unpaid, the internship must abide by the FLSA’s “Primary Beneficiary” test for unpaid internships.
Position description checklist:
*Use this checklist as a guide as you develop your position description. Internship and Co-op positions must contain detailed information about the job responsibilities and function in order for the experience to count as credit for the student.
- Position title, department name, and organization name?
- Position’s learning objectives and goals?
- Comprehensive list of duties to be performed (8-20 bullets)?
- What skills or knowledge is transferable to other employment settings?
- What position will be supervising the intern/employee, and what are his/her professional qualifications?
- What mechanisms will be used by the supervisor for providing frequent feedback to the intern/employee?
- What resources, equipment, and facilities will be provided by the employer to support the intern/employee in achieving the learning objectives and goals?
- Minimum qualifications?
- Preferred qualifications?
- Start date?
- End date?
- Time requirement in terms of hours per week?
- Salary amount?
- Covered on employer’s worker’s compensation insurance?
How to post internship positions:
Steps to Create and Access your Employer Account:
- Go to our CAREERLINK login page
- Click the green “Employer Sign Up” button (*all users must “sign up” the first time they use the system)
- Fill in your contact information
- Select a password and click “Create Account”
- From there, you will arrive at the Welcome Page where you can begin posting internship positions.
COVID-19 and NDSU Internships/Co-ops
NDSU students may participate in either in-person or remote/virtual internships and co-ops. NDSU has advised students to use good judgment and follow the direction and safety protocols of their host company while participating in an on-site or remote experience. Internship/co-op sites are expected to observe the COVID-19 guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), along with any federal, state, or local restrictions.
NEW Employer Resources on Remote Internships and COVID-19