Working with and advising students is a very important part of our student focused mission at NDSU. The Career and Advising Center is here to provide support to the faculty and professional advisors across campus. We have compiled some information and resources to help make your advising experience with students more valuable.
Use these resources in preparation for or during your meetings with students.
- Advising Session Techniques (NACADA)
- Academic Requirements Report (For Faculty)
- Academic Requirements Report (For Professional Advisors)
- Video Tutorial “How to Read an Academic Requirements Report”
- View and Release Student Holds
- Access Advisee Unofficial Transcript
- English and Math Placement (link to Catalog info)
- Curriculum Guides
- Major Maps
- Transfer Student Resources
Advisor Training Series Recordings
Preparing for Advising and Registration (policies, process, etc.): https://youtu.be/QbKY_Wf55Yc
Establishing Relationships with Your Advisees: https://youtu.be/JhdC0EABl5k
Transfer Advising Tips: https://youtu.be/gr-KBOY-Gqc
Use these contacts for questions or referrals.
Student Privacy Information
Here are some common technologies you may use for advising.
Many times you may be referring students out of your office to campus resources such as tutoring, counseling, etc.
- ACE Tutoring
- Career and Advising Center
- Counseling Center
- Disability Services
- International Student & Study Abroad Services
- Military & Veterans Services
- Office of Multicultural Programs
- NDSU Policy 330: Student Advising and Counseling
- One Stop
- Residence Life
- Student Health Services
- TRIO Programs
|STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES||ADVISOR RESPONSIBILITIES|
|Take personal responsibility for academic decisions.||Understand and communicate curriculum and graduation requirements.|
|Become knowledgeable about NDSU programs, policies and procedures.||Assist students in finding and understanding university requirements, policies and procedures.|
|Keep a personal record of academic progress.||Monitor student’s academic progress.|
|Schedule and keep regular appointments with advisor. Meet at least once each semester.||Be available and accessible as possible for student appointments.|
|Prepare for advising appointments.*||Prepare for advising appointments. Maintain student records as needed.|
|Openly and honestly discuss concerns at each advising meeting.||Listen carefully to questions and concerns. Maintain confidentiality.|
|Follow through on suggested actions, resources and referrals.||Match student’s needs with available resources and make referrals.|
|Read your emails and check Blackboard regularly.||Will respond to student questions in a timely manner.|