There are many avenues to find a job or internship, and with so many options it’s helpful to know which approach is likely to best suit you and your situation.
Online Job Boards:
- Handshake– This is an internship and job board that is solely for NDSU students and alumni. Starting searching today by logging into your Handshake account. Simply follow the link and use your NDSU email to gain access into the system.
- LinkedIn – This social media platform is often utilized for networking, recruitment, company research, and job search. Setting up an account and profile is straightforward and looking through posted jobs is a quick process.
- Indeed – Indeed is often one of the more well-known online job boards, as it covers the job postings that exist throughout the world. Because there are so many options through this platform, it’s helpful to utilize filters.
- Glassdoor – This job board offers features similar to others, but account holders also provide reviews on the employers that are posting positions and also can submit interview questions they have been asked by specific companies for specific positions.
- Job Service ND – This job board offers specifics on positions that are open throughout the state of North Dakota. There are also specifications on cost of living for the areas that the positions are being offered to help interested applicants plan accordingly.
- USAJobs – This website is designated to listings related to civil service job opportunities with federal agencies and within the government sector.
Reaching out to companies of interest:
Is there a particular company you’ve heard a lot about or that you would have a desire to work for? Check out the company’s website to see what types of jobs they have posted now, that they have hired for in the past, and see what types of qualifications or skill sets they are seeking in their ideal candidates. Applying through the company’s website directly is also a good option to ensure that your application is submitted to the correct company and for the specific position you are seeking.
The NDSU Career and Advising Center hosts several career fairs and expos throughout the year. All employers who attend these fairs must have open internships or full-time employment positions open within their company. Many of the employers also conduct on-campus interviews in the days following the expos. This is a great way to interview for multiple positions within a short amount of time.
Of course once you find a position you are interested in applying for, you want to be sure your application is up to standards to maximize your potential of passing an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) scan and landing an interview. That means getting your Resume / CV and Cover Letter tailored for that company and position prior to submission.
Job Search Log:
- Use this job search log to help keep track of positions you have applied to.
Some of the links contained on this page will direct you away from the NDSU Career and Advising Center website. The linked sites are not under the control of the NDSU Career and Advising Center and we are not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. The NDSU Career and Advising Center is providing these links as a convenience and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by the NDSU Career and Advising Center.