Who are Career Mentors?
Career Mentors are an integral part of the NDSU Career and Advising Center’s ability to empower students through self-discovery and career exploration to create meaningful impacts. Career Mentors are student staff who assist fellow students with all questions related to career. They are equipped with the resources, knowledge, and know-how to help students on their journey.
What’s the job?
You’ll be a member of a team whose mission is to equip students for success in the real world. You’ll learn about many aspects of the career development field so you can jump in and help our guests/partners with their diverse needs. You will have the opportunity to work in the following area(s):
Mentoring & Education
- Mentor students regarding their individual needs and career paths
- Assist students and alumni with career development including:
- Career and Major Exploration
- Resume, Cover Letter, CV, and Application Material Reviews
- Interviewing Prep and Mock Interviews
- Job and Internship Search Strategies
- Networking and Making Connections
- Help students navigate the Career Closet
- Create and develop online resources such as blogs and resume examples
Employers, Events & Marketing
- Research new employers and review job and internship postings
- Assist the Career and Advising Center with the preparation and execution of our many events including career fairs
- Promote events and services through the distribution of materials and marketing
- Connect with recent alumni to gather career outcome data
- Career Mentors work business hours between 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday in the fall/spring semesters
- Minimum of 5 hours and maximum of 20 hours per week
- Flexible scheduling to accommodate student hours
- Pay is $12 per hour
Who should apply?
We hire for heart and train on the rest! We look for candidates who can demonstrate an appreciation for diversity in its broadest sense and have the ability to connect naturally and warmly with others. You can be any major, any year in school, and have a lot of work experience or none. If you like engaging with your peers, working in an adaptable environment, and enjoy collaborating with students, staff, faculty, and employers the Career and Advising Center may be the place for you!
What training is available?
We won’t leave you hanging! The Career and Advising Center staff will ensure Career Mentors are fully supported and knowledgeable in all areas of their job. Our robust training curriculum incorporates summer training (40+ hours), assignments, and on-boarding aligned with NACE Professional Competency standards; year-round weekly meetings; and an ongoing cycle of observations, evaluation, and guided reflective practice. All training is mandatory, as it is just as important as the job itself.
Apply to be a Career Mentor Today!
- Position Description – https://career-advising.ndsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2023/11/Career-Mentor-Position-Description.pdf
- Application link – https://forms.gle/EjQibqqi397DLQxo8
For all questions or inquiries regarding the Career Mentor program please contact:
Career Mentor Program Manager
Olivia Buller, Senior Career Coach