When to start reaching out

If you are graduating in the next year I’m sure you keep getting the question “what are you going to do after graduation?”. As a senior who just had thanksgiving dinner I can attest to how often that question is asked. It can be stressful especially if you don’t have a job lined up. Many students have an idea of what they want to do or an idea of where they would like to work. The hardest part is deciding when a good time is to start applying and reaching out to that company.

The answer that I am following is about 4 months at the earliest. So, if you are graduating in May I would start reaching out after the New Year. This is a good time to start because it gives you a few months to go through the hiring process. It takes a while to get through the interview process, but you don’t want to start too early because you can’t start for a while. Starting at the beginning of your last semester is the perfect amount of time to get through the whole process and have a job secured by the time you graduate.

By Abby Zimmerman
Abby Zimmerman Career Mentor