#NDSUintern Spotlight: Aidan Gasser

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Company: nVent Hoffman

Internship Title: Manufacturing Operations Engineer

Location of Internship: Anoka, MN

Why did you choose the company that you work for?

I chose this company because it is very close to my home where I can spend time with my family and work on my home projects, they have great opportunities for growth in the field, and I am genuinely interested in the products they produce.

What were some of the requirements for your internship?

Being able to work independently on projects that require you to communicate with managers, team leads, operators and more during project proposals, prototype design and actual production of the project itself. Must know CAD, AutoCAD, have strong communication skills, be an Engineering Student, and Sophomore-Junior standing

What is your favorite part about your internship experience?

I love being a part of the whole design process, top to bottom on my projects. I get to see the problem, come up with a few different design iterations, communicate with people to see what suits their needs best, submit the project to get produced down on the plant floor, and see the project get implemented into the plant’s manufacturing process.

What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?

The most challenging part is being able to work on projects without having guidance at all times. They help you when you first start the internship/Co-Op, but after they show you the ropes they expect you to manage your projects all yourself. I overcame this obstacle by having confidence in my work and verifying every detail of the project before getting it produced. Considerations like Ergonomics, OSHA Regulation safety standards, and Operator convenience are just a few examples of what I need to keep in mind during the design process, development, and testing.

How did you find your internship?

Through a Career Fair or Career Expo at NDSU

Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?

Registering for credits allowed me to keep my current scholarships active, access to NDSU football games as well as access to NDSU resources.

What advice would you give a student who is in the process of searching and applying for an internship?

I would HIGHLY suggest looking for a Co-Op. Yes, you may have to take a semester of school off but you learn so much more from a Co-Op than you would ever learn from a three-month-long internship. The first two months of an internship is basically just showing you the ropes and teaching you about what you do. By the time you are able to work independently without needing help, your internship is over and you have no opportunity to grow and learn about what it means to be in that position after college. You gain so much more knowledge from just working in the field than you would ever learn from school. You will not regret taking a Co-Op. College is short in the grand scheme of life, and attending another semester just means another semester of learning and fun.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program