#NDSUintern Spotlight: Mac Nickles

Major: Computer Engineering

Company: Doosan Bobcat

Internship Title: Electrical Test Engineer Co-Op

Location of Internship: Bismarck, North Dakota

Why did you choose the company that you work for?

A good friend of mine recommended and referred me to Bobcat. After further investigation, I realized I shared a lot of common interests with the company and applied.

What were some of the requirements for your internship?

Some of the requirements involved are being able to understand electronics effectively, performing environmental testing on a variety of components and learning how to be versatile and adapt to new challenges

What is your favorite part about your internship experience?

My favorite part of my co-op would have been testing radar detection units on loaders using two different-sized $4,000 dummies.

What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?

The most challenging part of my co-op would have adapting to an engineering head space. Taking classes and labs, while learning and testing your knowledge in the classroom is one thing. To actually apply that prior knowledge in a working environment is another. We are said to become “sponges” during our internships and co-ops, so I took every opportunity I could get to make sure that if I did not understand a particular aspect of my job, I asked questions, sometimes easy, other times more difficult.

How did you find your internship?

Through a personal connection (faculty, family, or friends)

What advice would you give a student who is in the process of searching and applying for an internship in your field?

Don’t be discouraged or afraid to apply to any, if not all co-ops or internships that are in your degree field. Any amount of experience is still experience and looks very good on a resume.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program