#NDSUintern Spotlight: Max Salzer

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Company: Lockheed Martin

Location of Internship: Kennedy Space Center, FL

Internship Title: Mechanical Test Intern

Why did you choose the company that you work for?

Lockheed Martin is a global leader in aerospace and has a multitude of amazing programs. With so many diverse areas, there are countless programs and positions available.

What were some of the requirements for your internship?

My time was split between testing subsystems on the Artemis-2, 3, and 4 vehicles and working on corrective action projects. Some of my tasks while working on these projects included setting up sensors and data acquisition systems for test procedures, coordinating work with the technicians, and using my recourses to collect information and solve problems.

• What is your favorite part about your internship experience?

My favorite part of my internship experience has been being hands-on with the Orion spacecraft. As a mechanical test intern, I have had the opportunity to apply my skills and support a fast-paced program that is sending astronauts to the moon (and beyond).

• What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?

The most challenging part has been familiarizing myself with the subsystems of the vehicle. As a part of the test team, having a working knowledge of how things function is mandatory in understanding how we validate the design and assembly of the vehicle before sending it into space. To overcome this challenge, I have asked my coworkers a plethora of questions, looked at our library of schematics, and read up online in my free time.

• How did you find your internship?

Through a career fair at a scholarship conference

• Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?

I switched my major after sophomore year and needed to catch back up on credits to graduate in 4 years. The internship program allowed me to take my last technical elective over the summer, and I will now be officially graduated this August.

• What advice would you give a student who is in the process of searching and applying for an internship?

Put yourself out there and apply for positions that might seem out of reach. You never know what might happen!

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program