#NDSUintern Spotlight: William Fish

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Company: Teleflex Medical

Location of Internship: Plymouth, MN

Internship Title: Manufacturing Engineering Intern

Why did you choose the company that you work for?

I chose Teleflex because they are a global leader in the medical device industry with a history of success and a lot of growth potential. Teleflex maintains high standards for their products that ultimately improve quality of life for people around the world.

What were some of the requirements for your internship?

As a manufacturing intern, I am partnering with the manufacturing engineering and operations team on a variety of projects and assignments to contribute to the overall business unit objectives, while collaborating cross-functionally with engineers and production staff. This internship also focuses on daily production support, continuous improvement projects, fixture design used in daily production, as well as process and documentation updates. Some other tasks include supporting production needs under the guidance of manufacturing engineers, performing troubleshooting on existing products/process problems as related to design, material, or processes, supporting engineering change order creations, and developing and writing validation protocols and reports

• What is your favorite part about your internship experience?

My favorite part is that I am getting exposure and industry experience in the field that I ultimately want to have a career in after graduation, and at Teleflex, I’m able to see a product go from raw materials to a finished, or near-finished product.

• What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?

Some technical aspects of documentation processes in my internship have been difficult to adjust to initially, but I am fortunate to have a very good team to work with and help guide me through a lot of the obstacles I’ve faced so far.

• How did you find your internship?

LinkedIn

• Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?

Being able to register my internship encouraged me to find an internship so that I could earn the extra credits I need over the summer to graduate early.

• What advice would you give a student who is in the process of searching and applying for an internship?

Start looking for internships early, I was very fortunate to find one last minute in the field I want to work in.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program