Scholarship Recipient #NDSUintern Spotlight: Grace Gora

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Company: Nextern Innovation

Location of Internship: Maple Grove, MN

Internship Title: R&D Intern

Why did you choose the company that you work for?

I chose to work for Nextern because I was super interested in learning about the medical device industry. I am fascinated by medical device design, since these devices improve the livelihood of patients with chronic diseases and promote less invasive/more effective technology during surgical procedures.

What were some of the requirements for your internship?

Some of my requirements have included building shortened balloon catheters to test and optimize the distal bond, designing and 3D printing a tensile test fixture, and learning statistical analysis tools to predict process capability.

• What is your favorite part about your internship experience?

I love the work culture at Nextern! Every employee has been welcoming since I started, and I spend a lot of time collaborating and solving problems with my fellow interns. Nextern definitely promotes teamwork and personal development. For example, I have always felt comfortable asking full-time employees for assistance in learning new test methods or navigating Nextern’s project management software.

• What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?

At the start of my internship, I felt extremely incompetent. It took several weeks for me to finally feel confident in what I had to offer. Once I learned that I could ask for help with almost anything and someone would happily teach me, I became more comfortable in my position. I’ve also realized that the mind is powerful; I’ve been able to recall so much terminology for 3D design and tensile testing since taking applicable courses at NDSU!

• How did you find your internship?

Through a personal connection

• Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?

I want to stay on track for graduating either a semester early or on time, so enrolling in the summer course option seemed beneficial. It also allows me to stay focused on fulfilling my predetermined tasks within the short summer semester.

• What advice would you give a student who is in the process of searching and applying for an internship?

Be involved in NDSU organizations so you can network with other students. I received my first internship offer after connecting with a fellow NDSU Engineering Ambassador. Personal connections can advocate for you at their companies, and you further promote NDSU!

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program