#NDSUintern Spotlight: Sara Simonett

Major: Apparel, Retail Merchandising, and Design

Company: Duluth Trading Co.

Location of Internship: Mount Herob, WI

Internship Title: Merchant Intern

Why did you choose the company that you work for?

I chose to work for Duluth Trading Co. because of the company’s focus on sustainability, community, and sustainability in the apparel industry. They develop innovative, quality products that are built to last.

What were some of the requirements for your internship?

I have a capstone project where I and some of the other interns will develop growth strategies for their Women’s Plus line and how to market it. Along with that project, I regularly analyze competitors and look for any new trends and innovations we are seeing on the market. I analyze sales that help determine what products are doing well and which ones should be dropped or marked down.

• What is your favorite part about your internship experience?

The people I work with along with the culture of the workplace. I have made many connections within the company and with the other interns as well. We are always brainstorming and communicating our ideas with one another. There is never a boring day on the job, and it is exciting to be able to see upcoming plans and products of the company.

• What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?

The most challenging part of my internship is learning the different types of software and tools the company uses. Asking questions has helped me overcome this and I have been able to learn more by doing so. Your coworkers are there to help you learn.

• How did you find your internship?

Through a personal connection

• Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?

It is required for my degree, however I think that the course will help me reflect more on the experience.

• What advice would you give a student who is in the process of searching and applying for an internship?

Don’t be afraid to reach out to people. Most companies are so excited about students that are interested in working and willing to put in the work to obtain a position. Find a good way to market yourself and advocate for yourself when you need to.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program