#NDSUintern Spotlight: Matthew Vought

Major: Mechanical Engineering – Company: Doosan Bobcat  – Location of Internship: Bismarck, ND – Internship Title: Quality Engineering Coop

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • They are an excellent company that does business with industries I’m interested in. They also often hire people who interned or cooped with them.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
  • The main requirements were having 2 years of college completed, as well as a good GPA and resume.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part about my coop was the opportunities made available to me. I learned how to operate heavy machinery, design laser cut parts, and weld, among many other skills.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part of my coop was learning how to communicate in an industrial setting. When one email is the difference between the line running and shutting down, it’s vital to know how to communicate often and effectively.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • It saved me a class and my company paid for tuition.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • Apply no matter what year you are. Even if you don’t get an offer, it can help get your foot in the door in the future.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program