#NDSUintern Scholarship Recipient Blog

Intern: Karlee Zablotney

Major: Accounting

Company: AgriTec, Inc.

Location of Internship: Deering, ND

Internship Title: Accounting Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I chose the organization because it was in the farming realm which I really enjoy. I also was very familiar with the organization and employees due to doing business with them every spring. I knew it would be a fun summer job and good experience to learn accounting within farming. I was also very interested in learning QuickBooks which I knew they used at AgriTec Inc.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Some of the requirements of my internship were to have a basic knowledge of accounting concepts in order to perform tasks such as invoicing, inventory, bank reconciliations, etc. My required tasks were to invoice and inventory sales of fertilizer, chemical, and anhydrous. I also made price sheets and updated prices in the QuickBooks system.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part about my internship experience was learning QuickBooks and the people I got to work with. I believe that part of the future of accounting for businesses will be using QuickBooks, so it is important to me to know how to use the system. I absolutely love the people that I get to work with because they are from the farming world. I come from a farming family, so getting to learn the accounting side of it has been very interesting.
  • How do you plan to utilize the scholarship funds? (What are the ways in which the scholarship will most benefit you?
    • I plan to use the scholarship funds to pay for gas money due to the distance I drive out to work everyday. I drive around thirty miles a day, so it adds up. With the help of paying for gas, I can continue to do daily activities that I enjoy.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • Because my mentors and boss have been so helpful during my internship, I did not find many challenges within the job. The hardest part was keeping up with current and booked prices of all products that customers had bought. It was important to stay up-to-date with inventory and invoicing as well which provided lots of practice.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through a personal connection (faculty, family, or friends)
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • It was beneficial for me to register for credits through the internship program offered through the Career and Advising Center because it makes it easy to obtain the required credits through the same system as my classes. It was very easy to enroll and seems to be fairly simple to obtain the credits as well. I was provided a faculty advisor to reach out to as well.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • Apply for as many internships as possible, and don’t be afraid to step outside of your box. You don’t need a big tax or audit internship to learn a lot about accounting. The accounting world is so big and full of opportunities, so finding as many experiences as possible is very important to finding a place in accounting that you enjoy. Also, do not be afraid to communicate and ask questions during your internship, because that is one of the ways to learn.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace