#NDSUintern Spotlight Blog

Intern: Jared Tilton

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Company: Lund Boats

Location of Internship: New York Mills, MN

Internship Title: Product Engineering Intern/Co-Op

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I have always enjoyed fishing and being out on the water so this was a great opportunity for me. It’s the best of both worlds by getting great experience for a company that makes a product I enjoy using.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • The GPA requirement was a 3.0 and you had to have a major relating to engineering. I mostly reverse engineer parts and the boats themselves as well as a lot of other CAD work.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • I really enjoy the people that I have met and have been able to learn from during my experience. Everyone is passionate about what they do and is willing to help in any way they can.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • Seeing how it has been winter during most of my internship it’s been difficult not being able to get out on the water to test and enjoy the boats we work hard on. Other than that, I would say just getting used to working in a professional environment and the standards they uphold. Everyone there has been extremely helpful in teaching me.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • Being able to get credits while doing an internship helps immensely because you are getting real experience while advancing in school at the same time.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • Go and be yourself. You never know what kind of opportunities you might get by being yourself and doing something you enjoy.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace