#NDSUintern Spotlight Blog

Intern: Eduardo Urbana

Major: Computer Science

Company: Border States Electric

Location of Internship: Fargo, ND

Internship Title: Information Security Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • Border States Electric attracted me because the internships they had open at the time I was looking. They were exactly what I was looking for and I had previously heard good things about the company as well.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Its quite tough to go through and name some of the tasks I’m required to do, but a couple of my big tasks would include handling tickets, tickets are problems that come through when people have questions on the legitimacy of emails and documents, so they go through us (Security team) to verify if they’re legit. Another big task I worked on recently was to look at our list of software and make sure everything was up to date and if it wasn’t up to date I’d make a list and pass it on to another team in which they would make a package of that software and deploy it to the computers in which that software wasn’t up to date on. Those are a couple of tasks that I’ve done and continue to do, along with a couple more I didn’t mention.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • I learn new things everyday, I’ve been interning here at BSE for a little over a year and in that short year I’ve learned so many meaningful things career wise that I’ll continue using and and continue perfecting throughout my whole career. I’ll also mention that the workplace and work environment here at BSE is amazing. No matter what the problem is, everyone is willing to help.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part of my internship is coming out of my comfort zone. We come across many new tasks everyday and being able to tackle new tasks that come through have been something I’ve been “afraid” of doing because I feel like I’ll mess up in a way. I overcome these challenges by going out of my way and asking questions, which is something many interns are afraid to do, I’d rather ask questions and be well informed about the task I’m about to take on, rather than just passing the task along to someone else. I’m here to learn, so it does no good for me to just stick to what I’m comfortable with.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register your internship for credit through the Internship Program?
    • This spring semester is my last semester of school and I was a couple credits short of graduating. So, if I didn’t register my internship as credits I probably would’ve have to taken a random class to fill in those credits that I’d be missing.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
    • If you are in the process of looking for an internship always take advantage of school career fairs. Just be sure to be prepared when you go to these career fairs, dress nice, come with your resume printed out and in hand and have some questions lined up to ask companies that you’re interested in. Also, don’t be shy! Having conversations with people at booths can lead to a great first impression.

By Rachel Grace
Rachel Grace