Ask a CM!

Hello everyone!

This week’s question: Should I follow up with employers after the fair?

After you attend the fair and make connections with employers it is a great idea to follow up with them. Here are a couple ways to do so:

1. Connect on LinkedIn and either send a note with your invitation to connect or a direct message.
  2. Reach out over email.

When contacting the company, you can mention your interest in them and what specific position you are wanting to apply to. Tying in something from your conversation with them can be useful, so you jog their memory and they make the connection between your name and face. Regardless of their position title at the company, reaching out and furthering that connection is a great idea! If they like you they will pass your name on to recruiters or whoever is doing the hiring!

An example of an email or LinkedIn message is:

“Hello ___!

I really appreciated our conversation yesterday about your open internship position (could put the name of the specific internship or position). Thank you for the advice about adding my personal project to my application materials. I will be applying, and I look forward to the opportunity to work for your company!”

If you ever need assistance with the follow up conversation, stop by the Career Studio and we would be happy to help you out!

That concludes this week’s blog. Please write your questions on the lower, right side of the main page of our website!

https://career-advising.ndsu.edu/

I will be answering them every Friday. Ask any question you like, no question is too small!

Signing Off,

A CM

By Andrea Richard
Andrea Richard Graduate Career Mentor