Major: Crop and Weed Science with Biotechnology
Company: Walt Disney World
Location of Internship: Orlando, Florida
Internship Title: Plant Science Intern
- Why did you choose the company that you work for?
- Getting the chance to work at Walt Disney World is a dream come true! It is a great company with wonderful values, and I admire how much they truly care about each of their employees!
- What were some of the job requirements for your internship?
- Experience is one of the number one requirements! Another was, passion for the agriculture industry and educating others, along with being an advocate.
- What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
- Each week I gave 3-5 hour-long tours of our greenhouses, show labs, and aqua cell. This is something I look forward to, because any way that I can educate a guest on where their food is coming from is a win for me!
- What is the most challenging part of your internship experience? How did you overcome these obstacles?
- The first 2-3 weeks were hard because there are a lot of trainings, and it seems like you are meeting a lot of different people, and you don’t really see them again because the company is so large. Also, learning my way around Orlando and dealing with all the tourist traffic took some getting used to.
- How did you find your internship?
- Through my own self-guided research
- Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) thought the Internship Program offered through the Career Center?
- Taking a semester off from classes is stressful, but with the credit system though the Internship Program it made it a lot easier. I am still considered a full-time student, so my financial aid does not get messed up, and I am still going to be able to graduate on time!
- What advice would you give to a student who is in the process of applying to an internship?
- Prepare, prepare, prepare!!! Make appointments with the Career Center to go over your resume, cover letter, and interviews! My interview was an hour-long, and filled with a ton of questions. If I would not have taken the time before hand to prepare, I do not think I would have made it even half way through the interview.