Background & Purpose of the Job
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Refreshments, Home and Personal Care products with sales in more than 190 countries. In the United States, the portfolio includes brand icons such as: Axe, Ben & Jerry’s, Breyers, Caress, Degree, Dove personal care products, Good Humor, Hellmann’s, Klondike, Knorr, Lipton, Magnum, Nexxus, Noxzema, Popsicle, Q-tips, Simple, St. Ives, Suave, Talenti Gelato & Sorbetto, TIGI, TRESemmé, Vaseline. All of the preceding brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Unilever Group of Companies. We are developing our brands for people’s lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow – aiming to make sustainable living commonplace. Unilever offers vast and exciting career paths within R&D. Creating new innovations and enhancing our existing brand portfolio – it’s all yours in Unilever’s R&D Packaging function. As a Packaging Co-op at Unilever you will learn how we develop packaging using the latest technologies, bringing new innovations to life for our consumers. Bring your imagination and technical expertise to help develop superior products in an ever-evolving consumer marketplace.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
With guidance from a mentor and manager, Packaging Co-ops will support and then lead projects. You’ll represent R&D Packaging on cross-functional teams and be empowered to manage your own projects, making valuable contributions to the business and touching a wide array of packaging formats. Responsibilities include developing technical specifications, organizing plant trials, providing project timelines and tracking reports, develop and execute test plan/success criteria. Qualified candidates are able to analyze data/test results, work under pressure to meet project deadlines and effectively communicate with manager and team members.
• You’re a born leader: You will lead your own projects.
• You’re a dot connector: You will analyze testing data and provide recommendations for the best way forward.
• You love to win, and have fun doing it: You have a passion for learning how new technologies can be implemented to meet strategic goals.
• You’re a story teller: You will present your projects to management.
• You’re a culture & change champion: You bring your own experiences and uniqueness to the team, which is valued in our inclusive work environment.
What You’ll Need To Succeed
– Undergraduate candidate with Junior or Senior status or Graduate candidate – Minimum GPA of 3.0 – Coursework in packaging engineering or other relevant technically related field – Ability to execute projects and analyze research data/studies – Ability to deliver data to support insights and recommendations – Ability to work under pressure to meet project deadlines – Ability to successfully interact on cross-functional teams – Willingness to relocate
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
We strive for an experience that’s beneficial to both the co-op and the company, meaning real projects and real work! For this co-op you will support the packaging development work for two of our Vermont based teams: Ben & Jerry’s and Seventh Generation. Both of these B-corps are hastily driving sustainable packaging in their respective product categories: ice cream products and home and Personal care products. In this role you will learn the packaging systems and processes to support both brands and will gain a representative career experience while enabling the brands to further accelerate their packaging agenda.
· Cross-functional collaborating across multiple project types: innovation, renovation, quality improvement, and sustainability for both Ben & Jerry’s and Seventh Generation
· Lab-based package qualification testing and potential for off-site transit evaluation.
· Close collaboration with external vendors to qualify and develop materials.
· Develop shipping cases and pallet patterns for products per project requirements.
· Mastering of the specification system and the creation of pack and palletization specifications.
· Support sustainability projects focused on increasing recycled content in packaging components for Seventh Generation.
· Support for B&J manufacturing trials at either St. Albans or Waterbury locations
Beyond what’s mentioned above, we hope candidates will have a strong passion and purpose for many of the causes in which these two companies support.
Split between Ben & Jerry’s HQ – South Burlington, VT and Seventh Generation HQ – Burlington, VT
July 2021 – Start