About the Position: This position is with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District, Engineering and Construction Division (E&C). The St. Paul District E&C designs water resource projects to benefit the people of Minnesota, western Wisconsin, northeastern North Dakota, portions of South Dakota and Iowa, and the nation. These projects support inland navigation, flood risk management, and environmental restoration. E&C also provides emergency response to disasters.
- As Chief, Design Branch, performs branch program management, personnel supervisory and nonsupervisory technical review, and administrative work necessary for the development, planning, and administration of assigned branch functions.
- Manage and oversee engineering design work for civil works efforts such as navigation locks and dams, flood control structures, reservoirs, recreation facilities, river, diversion and channel modification, hazardous and toxic waste clean-up, etc.
- Direct branch activities such as through formulation of program plans, policies, and procedures; making decision and recommendations impacting other organizations; determining effective allocation of resources; and determining program emphasis.
- Develops plans, provides technical direction, and implements specialized technical services of Design branch through section supervisors and employees.
- Determines long-range manpower requirements. Meets performance standards through the control of expenditures, allocation of available resources and contracting. Develops cost and budget analysis or forecasts. Coordinate adequate funding and staffing.
- Evaluates the performance of subordinate supervisors and some non-supervisory subordinates and serves as second-level reviewer on evaluations of non-supervisory employees rated by subordinate supervisors.
- Makes decisions on work problems presented by subordinate supervisors. Resolves any problems which occur between subordinates. Hears and resolves individual or group grievances or serious employee complaints.
- Develops and implements the comprehensive training program for design facilities. Assures the availability and adequacy of general program training and facilitates the development of special seminars based on program needs.