At Trane Technologies® we Challenge Possible. Our brands – including Trane® and Thermo King® – create access to cooling and comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world.
The modelling and simulation engineer will develop key technologies to enable adaptation of electric drives and motors using hardware-in-the loop (HIL) systems. This position will involve working in state-of-the-art laboratories with subject matter experts and include opportunities to publish key project findings in conference proceedings and technical journals.
- Multiple areas centered around electric drives and motors including modelling and simulation, controls, finite element analysis, HIL simulation and validation etc.
- Interface with USA, Finland and India modeling and simulation groups to look for opportunities for common integration.
- Understand drive motor control algorithm for various motor types
- Perform in-depth analysis utilizing analytical tools available in the industry.
- Maintain a high level of technical knowledge in the areas of electric drives to maximize productivity, quality and drive business growth.
- Author lab test plans, conduct testing, analyze and interpret results and execute design updates based on the results.
- Provide guidance and leadership to designers, lab technicians and other team members.
- Develop project plans, prioritize tasks, and provide regular project updates.
- Write clear technical reports and present results in formal and informal environments.
- Maintain/develop software tools to improve development, testing, and trouble shooting.
- Work with software, mechanical, and reliability engineers across Trane Technologies to develop system requirements.
- Support development of qualification test standards for power electronics.
- Masters or PhD candidate in the field of Power Electronics, Controls or Machines
- 3.25 GPA minimum required
- 1-2 years of similar co-op/intern or work experience.
- Working knowledge of MATLAB – Simulink modelling, script development, GUI’s. Proficiency required.
- Working knowledge of control systems for power electronics including – motor drives, active filters, DC/DC converters, battery management and magnetic bearing systems.
- Experience with Hardware In Loop(HIL) based platforms such as Opal-RT, Speedgoat, dSPACE is desired.
- Firm grasp of engineering fundamentals.
- Self-motivated, willing to take initiative, able to function effectively in independent and team based situations.
- Ability to work in a laboratory environment for extended duration, author test plans, coordinate testing with lab staff and reviewing results.
- Must be adept at report writing and presenting technical information to a wide audience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required with good interpersonal skills, able to express concepts and ideas with clarity
- Previous engineering internships preferred.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what’s possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.