Terracon is seeking an environmental scientist for a challenging position in our Omaha, Nebraska office. You’ll assist project managers in conducting initial asbestos and lead inspections, assessing buildings for mold and radon, and conducting various types of worker safety assessments for industrial hygiene (such as noise and air monitoring). You’ll also conduct and be responsible for these assessments and oversee asbestos and lead abatement projects.
In addition to collecting samples, you will learn how to operate and calibrate specific instruments such as Phase Contrast Microscopy (PCM) and X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF). You will use your writing skills to assess conditions and produce written reports for our clients.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
· Conduct building inspections for asbestos-containing building materials in accordance with EPA, State and Local requirements.
· Operate and calibrate field equipment.
· Test surface coatings for lead paint (via paint chip or XRF) in commercial and industrial settings.
· Perform mold inspections and sampling for suspect microbial growth.
· Conduct radon and other indoor air quality assessments.
· Perform standardized and sometimes complex field tests in industrial settings such as noise exposure and air quality assessments.
· Tabulate and prepare data for written reports.
· Oversee contractor abatement projects and perform air monitoring and visual inspections to ensure worker safety and regulatory compliance.
· Follow safety rules, guidelines, and standards for projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report safety challenges or concerns to management.
· Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
· BS Environmental Science or related field
· Use and manipulate Microsoft Word and Excel programs.
· Good written communication skills with the ability to prepare reports using Microsoft Excel and Word.
· Minimum 0-2 years of relevant experience or the equivalent in training and related experience.
· Work may require travel with up to one week overnight.
· Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
· The ability to obtain Terracon-provided training/certifications in asbestos, lead, and radon.
· The ability to obtain other national, regional, state, and local certifications requiring experience and written examination.
· May have some client contact pertaining to specific projects/tasks.