Perform a variety of technical activities associated with the performance of screening and diagnostic mammography procedures. Assists radiologist with mammography procedures (cores, fine-needle aspirates (FNA’s) and localizations). Complies with all regulatory mandates for mammography. Performs quality assurance on digital equipment as assigned. Performs exams and assists Radiologists in a teaching and research facility.
Stanford Health Care
What you will do
- Assists patients in filling out mammography questionnaire and offers patient education (brochures and Health Library). Handles all paperwork associated with procedure appropriately and efficiently.
- Assists with mammography ancillary functions such as assisting in obtaining outside films for comparison and follow up process. Filming images as required. Faxing of patient consent forms to Facilities; faxing of abnormal results to physicians.
- Assists with procedures requiring knowledge of J wire placements, ultrasound guided core, needle biopsies, wire placements. Performs specimens of biopsy including transport procedure.
- Charges mammographic procedures and supplies in Radiology Information Systems.
- Correctly obtains and identifies mammography images, manipulates and sends images via the Picture Archive Communication System (PACS) network; moves images to physicians reading stations.
- Develops mammographic film. Match with the appropriate paperwork for interpretation.
- Evaluates radiographs for diagnostic quality obtaining additional images as needed.
- Performs a variety of tasks involving the operation of mammographic radiographic equipment and other.
- equipment/devices as appropriate. Position patients, using immobilization when necessary. Calculate exposure factors, assist physicians.
- Prepares and set up medical supplies using aseptic techniques if appropriate. Explain all mammography exams to patients to achieve patient cooperation.
- Utilizes all digital mammography equipment and performs maintenance, trouble shooting, turns on/off, and calls for service. Performs the quality control functions related to mammography.
- Requirement met by License/Certification Requirement
- One (1) year of progressively responsible and directly related work experience
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to accurately bill complex procedures and supplies in a timely fashion
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with widely diverse groups, including individuals at all levels both within and outside the organization and gain their cooperation
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to position standard mammograms as well as non-routine views (mags, spot views)
- Ability to work effectively as a team player
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and congenital/acquired pathology as they relate to the use and interpretation of ultrasound diagnostic procedures
- Knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional area
- Knowledge of methods of positioning patients for radiographic and magnetic resonance imaging procedures
- Knowledge of principles of image processing and development
- Knowledge of radiographic and fluoroscopic techniques, methods and equipment
- Knowledge of safety principles and procedures related to ultrasound procedures and equipment
- Knowledge of ultrasound diagnostic procedures and equipment/instrumentation
Licenses and Certifications
- CRT and
- MAM – Mammography Cert and
- BLS – Basic Life Support