Join the field of Correctional Health at the South Dakota State Penitentiary! Correctional Health staff provide health care to an underserved population in a secure clinic environment. Charge Nurses duties include, but are not limited to, supervising activities in the clinic, providing direct patient care, coordinating discharge planning, and is responsible for staff supervision. The incumbent will work Monday-Friday, day hours and will also participate in supervisory on call. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and climb up to five flights of stairs.
Please visit our website at https://doh.sd.gov/corrections/ for further information about the Department of Health – Correctional Health.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
Licenses and Certifications:
Must be licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of South Dakota and CPR certified
Questionnaire: Applicants will be required to answer a series of job related questions when submitting an application for this job.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Strong nursing assessment skill, critical thinking skills, initiative, team oriented, and communication skills.
- the principles and techniques of patient care;
- hospital and clinic routine and procedures;
- IV therapy;
- the care and use of medical equipment and supplies.
- evaluate client behaviors, symptoms, and effects of medications;
- follow directions;
- prepare and maintain records, charts, and reports;
- apply nursing techniques as delegated by physicians or registered nurses;
- establish and maintain effective relationships with patients and staff;
- direct and monitor direct care personnel.