The Vet Up! programs at Purdue College of Veterinary Medicine (PVM) provide opportunities and support for underrepresented and/or underserved high school and undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in veterinary medicine. This may include racial and ethnic minorities, low-income, first-generation college, and rural students. There are multiple components to the Vet Up! program, and this listing is specifically for the Vet Up! Champions component. Please see our other listing for the Vet Up! College component, a 6-week summer residential program/internship.
Vet Up! Champions is a career exploration program for high school juniors and seniors, undergraduate freshmen and sophomores, and non-traditional adult students* who have some level of interest in the field of veterinary medicine.
- Includes twice monthly virtual learning sessions on important topics in the field, career options, admissions and financial information, professional development, and personal wellness from Purdue College of Veterinary Medicine faculty members and other experts.
- Students will participate in a 2-day campus visit to Purdue in the summer for tours of Purdue University and Purdue College of Veterinary Medicine’s Teaching Hospitals, information sessions, and hands-on animal experience.
- Programming is cost-free, and we also provide lodging, a travel stipend up to a maximum, and a daily expense stipend for the 2-day campus visit.
- Students can be located anywhere in the United States! Check eligibility requirements here.*
- All participants receive long-term advising and mentorship as long as their end goal continues to be to earn a DVM degree.
- Students with an interest in veterinary shortage areas, including food safety, public health, and regulatory medicine, receive preference during the admissions process.
The next Vet Up! Champions cohort will take place from January 2022 to December 2022. The application deadline for this cohort is November 1, 2021. The application and required supplemental materials can be found here.
A representative will be available at various fairs to share information about program eligibility, details, and application process for two components of the program: Vet Up! Champions and Vet Up! College. If you would like more information prior to the fair, check out our website: purduevetup.org.
Can’t meet with us at an upcoming career, internship, graduate or professional school fair? Sign up for virtual information sessions being held September 15 & October 12: go.oncehub.com/vetupinfo.
*Students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree prior to programming are ineligible for Vet Up! Champions & Vet Up! College.
This program is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $3.18 million. The contents are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government.