The U.S. Army Garrison (USAG) Italy is offering an undergraduate or post-bachelor’s opportunity in Camp Darby, Italy.
What will I be doing?
As an ORISE participant, you will join a community of scientists and researchers in an effort to contribute to research by facilitating discussions among key individuals concerning the overall health of USAG Italy (physical, psychological, spiritual, family, and social), to include Darby and Vicenza Military Communities. You will contribute to monthly working groups and the CR2C and provide quarterly updates and visibility presentation to senior leaders.
There will be 3 key goals during the course of this research project:
- Distribution and analysis of a survey to determine quality of life and overall health quality in the community with maximum participation
- Research and development of a PCS Resource Guide to be hard copied and published online
- Collaboration with key stakeholders to contribute to the overall USAG Italy R2 Strategic Plan
Why should I apply?
Under the guidance of a mentor, you will gain hands-on experience in public health research to complement your education and support your academic and professional goals. Along the way, you will engage in activities and research in several areas. These include, but are not limited to:
- Project management and facilitation
- Data analysis
- Marketing/promotion of various initiatives to internal and external audiences
Where will I be located?
Camp Darby, Italy
What is the anticipated start date?
Exact start dates will be determined at the time of selection and in coordination with the selected candidate. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and internships or fellowships will be filled as qualified candidates are identified.
What is the appointment length?
This appointment is a 12-month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
What are the benefits?
You will receive a stipend to be determined by USAG-Italy. Stipends are typically based on a participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement (Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE)
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Directorate of Public Works (DPW) is responsible for design, constructions, maintenance and repair of all facilities, operation of utility systems, management of all environmental and disposal waste, natural and cultural resource programs as well as providing centralized management for Army Family Housing. The U.S. Army Garrison, Italy facilitates the integration of the Readiness and Resiliency (R2) capabilities into the Commander’s R2 Council (CR2C) process.
This program, administered by Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) through its contract with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to manage the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), was established through an interagency agreement between DOE and DoD. Participants do not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DoD or any other office or agency. Instead, you will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment. Proof of health insurance is required for participation in this program. Health insurance can be obtained through ORISE. For more information, visit the ORISE Research Participation Program at the U.S. Department of Defense.
The qualified candidate will have earned a Bachelor’s degree in the last 5 years, or be a current undergraduate student.
U.S. military veterans who have been honorably discharged (or who have been medically discharged because of a service-connected disability) and who received a <<specify degree>> degree within ten years of the desired start date are also eligible.
Highly competitive applicants will have education and/or experience in one or more of the following:
- Planning and developing methods to monitor goals and objectives
- Developing plans for evaluation and research
- Applying a variety of communication methods and techniques to market and promote activities
- Ability to identify components of evidence-based health promotion programs based on behavioral change theories; proficient in public speaking
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with higher headquarters and other agencies in the community
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Bachelor’s Degree received within the last 60 months or currently pursuing