The Primary Duties of the Director of Nursing is to provide an administrative and overall managerial authority for all functions of the Nursing Department. The Director of Nursing reports to the Director/AHC Administrator for the management of the Nursing Department. The Manager/AHC Director of Nursing supports the mission of AHC and strives to meet service excellence.
1. Is responsible for maintaining clinical competency as evidenced by the application of integrated nursing knowledge, leadership and communication skills.
2. Utilizes the nursing process in assessment, planning and implementing of care.
3. Exhibits organizational ability related to work flow, prioritizing to meet patient care needs.
4. Practices continuous quality improvement thinking and problem solving skills.
5. Insure Long Term Care policy and regulations are followed and educates staff to changes.
6. Will have good communication and leadership skills.
7. Will continue to pursue leadership driven education.
8. Demonstrate assertive and creative problem solving ability by identifying problem areas to resident satisfaction.
9. Will implement and oversee development of quality measure goals appropriate to quality improvement in long term care
10. Complete and facilitate timely completion of evaluations.
11. Be responsible for hiring, retaining and training of nursing staff to meet floor needs.
12. Ensure staff involvement in safety measures related to self and resident.
13. Is responsible for the development, implementation, revision, and report of Performance Improvement activities.
14. Responsible for the development and implementation of the departmental capital and operating budgets.
15. Responsible for the formulation of policies, procedures, and staffing patterns essential to the achievement of a high standard of patient care.
16. Responsible for the ongoing education and training of staff.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one’s behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization’s benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences’ level.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.