This position will directly support navy operations through the processing of spent nuclear fuel in an industrial environment. Once qualified, work will include leading a team of trades personnel (e.g., crane operators and riggers, quality inspectors, technicians) to meet goals and objectives in support of our mission. Most of the selected candidate’s time will be spent interacting with team members in preparation for work, ensuring team members are clear on work deliverables to safely and successfully meet objectives, and reporting out on the status of deliverables.
Essential duties and attributes Include:
- Pays great attention to detail to ensure the directed work is conducted safely and correctly.
- Highly competent in both written and verbal communication with others, including immediate supervisors and auditors.
- Able to direct successfully direct a work team during normal operations and take precise and prompt action in response to anomalous conditions.
- Desire to drive continuous technical training and continuous improvement.
- Problem solver; able to assist the cognizant engineering group in recognizing and correcting issues.
- Interested in growing as a leader; self-motivated and able to engage and encourage others in a dynamic team environment.
- Successfully handles stressful situations
- Team leader others look to for guidance, interpretation of requirements, and a role model for the way work is to be conducted.
- Values requirements and ensures others follow them.
- Self-confident in skills and abilities while also teachable and willing to implement self-improvements.
- Able to accurately and honestly self-assess performance.
Understands this position requires 10-12 months of intense classroom, self-study and work group supervisor training and includes a comprehensive written, watch standing and oral examination to qualify as a Refueling Operations Engineer. Once qualified, the employee must maintain that qualification through an ongoing continuing training program.
This is a high-visibility position with great responsibility. The selected candidate’s successful completion of training and qualification can lead to supervisor/management opportunities both within the Refueling Operations organization and in other engineering departments across the Naval Nuclear Laboratory and qualifies for an accelerated pay program.