Mechanical Engineer Intern – Milton R. Young Power Plant
Minnkota Power is seeking one qualified student for a Mechanical Engineer Intern at our Milton R. Young Power Plant near Center, ND.
The Milton R. Young Station is a two-unit coal-fired power plant, providing a stable energy source for our cooperative member-owners. The station is located 35 miles from Bismarck, North Dakota, a growing and progressive city with many recreational opportunities.
This internship would be from May through August 2022.
The individual will assist the plant engineers in the following:
- Project scopes of work, cost estimates, schedules and detailed design packages
- Coordinate the preparation of construction drawings and specifications for plant process equipment
- Design and installation of replacement equipment
- Troubleshoot existing systems with operations and maintenance to resolve safety or production problems with engineered solutions.
- Periodic performance testing on plant equipment
- Use meters, instruments and engineering tools and equipment to: collect necessary data for plant testing requirements, analyze test results, and makes recommendations for modifications, replacement, or repair of equipment
- Provide engineering support to other departments as is required
- This position reports to the Results Engineering Supervisor.
Individuals must have completed their junior year of a Mechanical Engineering curriculum. Good oral and written communication skills are essential.
The physical/mental/environmental demands of this position requires frequent sitting and use of computer/keyboard, occasional standing, walking, stooping, climbing stairs and ladders, kneeling, lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds, reaching above and below shoulder level, crawling, pushing and pulling up to 75 pounds, use of tools and foot controls and turning of valves.
Requires good finger dexterity, ability to perform close work, good hearing and color vision and the ability to speak. Requires the ability to analyze data, conduct research, implement recommendations, develop plans and goals, present information to others and work under pressure of time constraints.
Over 50 percent of the day is spent in an office environment. Exposed occasionally to dirt, dust, chemicals, extreme heat and cold, vibration, noise, confined areas and working at heights up to 150 feet. Individual must possess a valid driver’s license.
On-line applications can be found at www.Minnkota.com. Resumes will not be accepted without a completed application.
Minnkota Power Cooperative is an EEO/AAP/Female/Minority/Disabled/Vets Employer