At Marvin, we make windows and doors inspired by how you live so you’re inspired to live well. We are driven by the momentum of four generations of innovation and excellence and going through a company evolution, looking for new ways of bringing our purpose of imagining and creating happier, healthier living – to life.
Our business reaches across the nation and our products are represented around the world. With our commitment to our local communities and to providing innovative solutions using new technology, we are always looking for ways to move our people, as well as our business, forward.
Marvin Design Lab is a catalyst for innovation and growth. We are an open, inclusive, engaging and diverse group of researchers, designers, engineers, architects united by our passion and belief that we can create experiences that improve the human experience through design. With just two years under its belt, it already holds a track record of award-winning products and experiences at the intersection of design desirability, engineering feasibility and business profitability.
We are looking for a Principal Visual Designer who has a strong passion for creating emotional impact through beautiful visualization of our evolving brand. His/her primary focus will be in the visual design of UI and design systems of digital products and will secondarily expand into brand, print, and visual storytelling.
As a Principal Visual Designer, you are expected to lead in the craft of visual design: as an individual contributor, as a mentor and guide for more junior designers, and as a contributor to the Marvin Company’s future brand. You will often be the backbone of your projects from beginning to end. You will plan, prioritize, and deliver visual design activities autonomously, in the context of interdisciplinary projects. You will lead the team’s conversations within your domain, providing articulate recommendations and helping guide the team’s choices.
Essential Job Functions
- Help evolve brand expression to best reflect Happier, Healthier Living
- Create expressions for mood, tone, look & feel to help position our products, brand and experiences
- Craft a foundation for Design System, typography, iconography, color, grid, and design components and frame a vision for art direction, photography, and illustration to reinforce product/experience vision
- Lead UI design for native and web-based digital products and experiences
- Design brand identities and brand collateral for digital-physical experiences
- Build wayfinding, environmental graphics and pictographical systems
- Participate in all phases of design to collaboratively create digital-physical product concepts that push the bar for quality and excellence
- Drive collaboration with marketing, brand, and development teams to align from the design purpose to the execution roadmap
- Create multi-media narratives that tell engaging stories of users and projects with the audience and communication objective in mind
- Support the team with guidance for visual expression
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Domain knowledge: You possess a fundamental understanding of Brand, Graphic, UI Design.
- User-centered perspective: You put users at the center of end-to-end experiences. You have the ability to integrate core UI principles with existing and future customer needs and apply them to achieve business objectives.
- Prototyping skills: You are ready to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process and you understand that success comes sooner with trial and error.
- Collaborative skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. Your support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of digital deliverables.
- Managing Work: You have a talent for getting things done and excellent organizational and time management skills. You have the ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills. You demonstrate a clear “point‐of‐view” relating to user experience design.
- Values-oriented: It is critical that we hire people and hold them accountable to a standard of excellence demonstrated by our Purpose and Values. You conduct your work with a high level of ethical standards, integrity, and professionalism.
- Comfort in ambiguity: You are self-directed toward excellent work outcomes and are comfortable working in ambiguous, non-rules based environments.
Education / Experience
- 5+ years of professional visual design experience (although you might have had a different job title, like “UI designer” or “art director”)
- A university degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communications, or a related design or artistic discipline
- Highly developed design skills, demonstrated in your portfolio of recent work
- Confident presentation and storytelling abilities
- Experience collaborating in multifunctional teams as the visual design lead
- Proficiency with contemporary design and prototyping tools and methods
- A strong desire to work on purpose-driven work and are excited by the mission to evolve a 100-year-old family company create new ways to impact people’s lives.
We believe resumes are only one way to get to know you. Please share whatever materials you think best represent you, your skillset, and your perspective.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee.