OPENING DATE: 10/06/21
CLOSING DATE: 10/19/21 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Limited Duration: Regular Sched (FT with benefits)
LOCATION: 1313 Penn Avenue North, Minneapolis, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: NorthPoint Health & Wellness
NorthPoint Health & Wellness Center is seeking a Medical Assistant devoted to the delivery of primary care in an ambulatory setting with emphasis on prevention and health maintenance. As a member of the care team, the Medical Assistant supports quality patient and family-centered care principles through performing a variety of high-level functions within a multidisciplinary care team. The Medical Assistant will gather and document information to support the patient visit.
The Medical Assistant will assist the nurses and clinical staff in performing their duties by carrying on the necessary functions required in accordance with established policies and procedures. All clinic Medical Assistants are cross trained with other support staff and may work at our other satellite sites as needed to help cover vacations.
Location and hours:
This position is initially located at the main campus of the NorthPoint Health & Wellness Center at 1313 Penn Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Work hours and specific clinic location for this position will vary upon clinic hours between 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and some Saturday mornings from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
About the position type:
This is a limited duration (temporary) full-time, benefit earning position expected to last up to two years with the possibility of extension.
Starting September 1, 2021, all new job offers are conditional based on the candidate being fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Fully vaccinated” means 14 days after receiving the second dose in a two-dose vaccination series approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on a full or emergency-use basis, or 14 days after receiving a single-dose vaccine approved by the FDA on a full or emergency-use basis. After a conditional job offer is made, the candidate must show proof of full vaccination prior to their start date. A COVID-19 vaccination card from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a vaccination record from your doctor’s office or a personal digital vaccination record constitutes sufficient “proof.” The candidate must also attest they are vaccinated by completing a form on the first day of employment. Reasonable accommodations to this vaccination requirement will be considered upon request by a candidate for medical or religious reasons as required by applicable law.
In this position, you will:
- Perform delegated nursing tasks such as administering medications, giving immunizations, completing screenings, and performing waive testing and phlebotomy as required.
- Room patients and prepare them for the provider by obtaining and documenting chief complaint, current medications, allergies, medical history, and taking vital signs, weight, and height.
- Perform basic patient care activities including pharmacy review and identification of medication refill needs.
- Clean/sterilize patient equipment and rooms using appropriate infection control techniques and stock exam rooms with supplies.
- Schedule follow-up appointments.
Need to have:
- Diploma or associate degree from an accredited medical assistant program that includes a clinical externship.
- Current certification or eligibility for certification as a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA); or as a Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) by the American Medical Technologists (AMT).
- Access to reliable transportation to travel to clinics.
- Ability to perform the following duties with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Lift a child weighing up to 30-pounds from the floor.
- Maneuver wheelchairs carrying patients weighing up to 300 pounds.
- Walk and stand for long periods of time.
Nice to have:
- Three or more years of experience as a Medical Assistant in a community health and family practice setting providing services to medically underserved populations.
- Current CPR certification.
- Working with pediatric patients.
- Using EPIC or a similar Electronic Health Record system to schedule and register clients and document client data/care.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and correct procedures for handling sterile/contaminated materials.
- Familiarity with Infection Control Universal Precautions and when full PPE use is appropriate.
- Sensitivity to the unique challenges faced by diverse and vulnerable individuals.
Candidates with fluency in another language in addition to English are encouraged to apply. Bilingual candidates who pass a language assessment may qualify for additional bilingual pay and duties.
About the department:
NorthPoint Health & Wellness Center sets a standard of excellence in providing culturally responsive, integrated, holistic primary health and social services that strengthens our community and the lives of the people we serve. We are leaders and partners in a shared vision of a healthy, environmentally safe, and economically stable, self-reliant community.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals — that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
This position is internally classified as a Medical Assistant.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
This position will have access to systems or other documentation that contains HIPAA data.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Final candidates may be required to complete a drug test and/or background check.