OPENING DATE: 10/01/21
CLOSING DATE: 10/22/21 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Minnesota, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Human Services and Public Health
The Child Support Services area of the Human Services and Public Health Department (HSPHD) is seeking a Principal Data Analyst to generate actionable insights for our business area. The analyst will leverage a variety of data sources to create tools, insights, and data products including reports, surveys, presentations, dashboards, and visualizations for the child support program managers and state and county human services business partners, stakeholders, and citizens.
We are focused on using analytics to improve resident outcomes and reduce disparities while making the most efficient use of taxpayer dollars.
Location and hours:
This position is remote. Remote workers may be required to come on-site an average of 0 to 12 days a year for work meetings, trainings, or for any other reasons that their supervisor may deem necessary (may include additional days for onboarding and new employee training). Supervisors will provide as much advance notice as practicable. Work hours will be Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
About this position type:
This is a full-time, benefit-earning position.
Starting September 1, 2021, all new job offers are conditional based on the candidate being fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Fully vaccinated” means 14 days after receiving the second dose in a two-dose vaccination series approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on a full or emergency-use basis, or 14 days after receiving a single-dose vaccine approved by the FDA on a full or emergency-use basis. After a conditional job offer is made, the candidate must show proof of full vaccination prior to their start date. A COVID-19 vaccination card from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a vaccination record from your doctor’s office or a personal digital vaccination record constitutes sufficient “proof.” The candidate must also attest they are vaccinated by completing a form on the first day of employment. Reasonable accommodations to this vaccination requirement will be considered upon request by a candidate for medical or religious reasons as required by applicable law.
In this position, you will:
- Analyze, interpret, and present data in informative and dynamic ways to meet the needs of multiple stakeholders and diverse audiences.
- Create tools, insights, and data products including reports, surveys, presentations, dashboards and, visualizations for the County child support program managers and state and county human services business partners, stakeholders, and citizens.
- Collaborate with business partners to analyze business needs and processes, identify and articulate business/research questions, and identify relevant data sources.
- Query, transform, and clean data from a variety of sources.
- Provide technical consultation to Child Support Services management and staff on data analyses, statistical and analytic techniques, survey design and evaluation, performance measurement, statistical analysis methodologies, and county data systems.
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in any field and a minimum of two courses in research methods, analysis, statistics, project management, planning or evaluation and four years or more of relevant planning analyst experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the fields listed below and three years or more of relevant planning analyst experience.
- Master’s degree in one of the fields listed below and two years or more of relevant planning analyst experience.
- Ph.D. degree in data analytics, business analytics, data science, business administration, public administration, research/evaluation methods, statistics, behavioral/social science, public health, computer science/MIS, management science, urban/city
Nice to have:
- Collecting, analyzing, or interpreting data to help improve business/organizational practices.
- Using SQL or similar tools to query and transform data.
- Using business intelligence or reporting tools such as Power BI, SSRS, Tableau, etc.; working with child support programs, PRISM data, and/or the PRISM application.
- Ability to:
- Apply problem-solving skills and make data-informed recommendations for action.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Work independently and successfully manage multiple priorities and projects.
- Build and nurture collaborative relationships with a variety of customers/partners.
- Utilize available resources to continually learn and develop professionally.
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (R, Python, SAS, Stata, etc.)
- Knowledge of the data science process and principles (i.e. business/data understanding, data preparation, modeling – statistics/machine learning, evaluation, and deployment).
About the department:
Human Services delivers a variety of services to individuals or families that assist with basic needs or encourage client change around specific objectives. We work with individuals as well as systems and communities in order to develop policy and advocate for the people we serve. The people we serve and our communities are connected. By helping one, we help the other.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals — that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
This position is internally classified as either a Planning Analyst, Principal
Click here to view the job classification specification.
This position may have access to systems or other documentation that contains HIPAA data.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Final candidates may be required to complete a driver’s license check, drug test and/or background check.