OPENING DATE: 10/07/21
CLOSING DATE: 10/21/21 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Minnesota, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Public Works Financial Services
Public Works Financial Services is seeking to fill a Senior Accountant position to perform senior level accounting work related to the support of grant and capital projects. This position will provide support for management decision making and provide accounting leadership.
Location and hours:
Currently, this position is remote due to COVID-19. Once the COVID-19 emergency declaration is lifted, this position may be located on-site at downtown Minneapolis at 701, fourth Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55415. While currently designated as remote, workers may be required to come on-site an average of 0 to 12 days a year for work meetings, trainings, or for any other reasons that their supervisor may deem necessary (may include additional days for onboarding and new employee training). Supervisors will provide as much advance notice as practicable.
Work hours will be between Monday through Friday 7 a.m. – 5 p.m., and generally do not exceed 40 hours per week. Work schedules are flexible between these core hours.
About the position type:
This position is a full-time, benefit earning position.
Starting September 1, 2021, all new job offers are conditional based on the candidate being fully vaccinated for COVID-19. “Fully vaccinated” means 14 days after receiving the second dose in a two-dose vaccination series approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on a full or emergency-use basis, or 14 days after receiving a single-dose vaccine approved by the FDA on a full or emergency-use basis. After a conditional job offer is made, the candidate must show proof of full vaccination prior to their start date. A COVID-19 vaccination card from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a vaccination record from your doctor’s office, or a personal digital vaccination record constitutes sufficient “proof.” The candidate must also attest they are vaccinated by completing a form on the first day of employment. Reasonable accommodations to this vaccination requirement will be considered upon request by a candidate for medical or religious reasons as required by applicable law.
In this position, you will:
- Prepare journal entries; maintain and reconcile general books of account related to Public Works grant and capital projects according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Conduct complex accounting system procedural, internal audit reviews, and sub-recipient monitoring processes.
- Develop and prepare standard and ad hoc reports for internal requests and external requests from multiple agencies and taxing jurisdictions.
- Serve as a liaison with other county departments, government agencies, external auditors, or vendors to coordinate efforts or provide independent assistance concerning accounting related tasks problems and issues.
- Perform grant and capital project accounting duties including assisting with preparing and submitting financial reports, managing revenue/receipt processes, performing reconciliations, and preparing and providing transaction support to auditors.
- Demonstrate ability to recommend or develop automated solutions where appropriate.
- Assist in expanding developing and applying accounting procedures to solve accounting problems involving electronic data processing.
- Review Board and County Administration action requests to review financial information, assist with budget tracking, and ensure proper accounting.
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in accounting, business administration with an emphasis in accounting, or other specialty area related to the position and two years or more of professional accounting experience.
- Six years or more of professional accounting experience.
Nice to have:
- CPA, GFOA, or other related professional certifications.
- Government accounting experience; including grant, capital, and fund accounting.
- General ledger accounting experience with a thorough understanding of balance sheet accounting.
- Professional accounting experience in the accounts payable and accounts receivable areas.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications and PeopleSoft Financials or a similar electronic accounting system.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Ability to:
- Handle multiple priorities with minimal direction.
- Communicate well both verbally and in writing.
- Meet deadlines and produce accurate work in a fast-paced office environment.
- Work effectively in a team environment with functional business and team members.
- Identify accounting issues and conduct meetings to resolve issues.
About the department:
Public Works creates healthy and livable communities through economic development, environmental stewardship and advancement of a multimodal transportation network. About 450 employees work together on a wide range of programs and projects to achieve our mission.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals — that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
This position is internally classified as an Accountant, Senior.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Final candidates will be required to complete a background check.