Caterpillar is the world leader in construction and mining equipment, delivering industry leading software enabled products and solutions that transform the way its customers connect and interact with its mobile equipment. If you are an innovative and motivated engineer with the right skills, we have a career impacting opportunity for you to join the Medium Wheel Loaders (MWL) Product Group, part of Caterpillar’s Earthmoving Division, as a Senior Embedded Software Engineer !
In this role you will collaborate in requirement development, write and test embedded application software for machine control and on-machine display features that will enable the advancement of MWL new technology. You will also get to perform complex analysis work, identify design issues, and resolve problems. As a member of a highly engaged team, you will develop the embedded software features that make Medium Wheel Loader machines easier to operate, improve operator productivity through Assist Features and Production Management, and provide actionable information to machine operators and owners supporting continued product leadership in this critical market.
As the Senior Embedded Software Engineer, you will:
- Define requirements, detailed specifications and develop embedded software systems and applications through New Technology Introduction (NTI) and New Product Introduction (NPI) development phases.
- Define interfaces between software layers and assess application performance while optimizing/improving it through design and best coding practices.
- Write code that meets industry and Caterpillar standards that deliver the desired functionality, while maintaining code quality through best practices, unit testing and code quality automation.
- Perform on machine testing of software on Caterpillar earthmoving equipment.
To be successful in this role, you must bring (Basic Qualifications) :
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field AND at least 3 years of direct industry experience programming in embedded C++ OR a master’s degree in computer science or related field accompanied by 2 years of direct industry experience (or serving industry in an academic setting) programming in embedded C++.
- Strong proficiency in C++, with knowledge of the language specification and latest C++ standards
- Proficient understanding of the C++ standard library: algorithms, containers, threads, iterators and memory management
- Solid object-oriented programming, design and problem-solving skills
- Development experience in a Linux environment.
- Experience in developing embedded software systems.
Top Candidates Will Also Bring:
- Experience with Python
- Experience with real-time operating systems
- Embedded systems development experience: multi-threading, multi-process
- Direct work experience with GIT (or similar) version control
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills and work experience using Agile methodologies.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
ISE is not available for this position.
How We Support You (Employee Benefits)
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. We offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of a yearly bonus. Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
At Caterpillar, we believe each person is unique and valued, and are committed to ensuring that our workplace is diverse and representative of the many customers we serve around the globe. Different perspectives help us achieve our best work and come together to form a high-performing Caterpillar team that makes positive changes in the communities where we live and work.
Learn about Caterpillar at www.caterpillar.com
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers .