The Bureau of Safety & Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) works to promote safety, protect the environment, and conserve resources offshore through vigorous regulatory oversight and enforcement. For information about our bureau go to: http://www.bsee.gov/
These internship opportunities are within the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Safety & Environmental Enforcement (BSEE), Gulf of Mexico OCS Region with duty locations of Jefferson, LA; Houma, LA; Lake Charles, LA; Lafayette, LA; or Angleton, TX.
Note: Applicants must be able to work in the duty locations throughout the duration of the Pathways Internship. These positions will be filled in Jefferson, LA; Houma, LA; Lake Charles, LA; Lafayette, LA; or Angleton, TX.
At the full performance level, GS-7, the major duties of these positions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting staff engineers and inspectors in conducting reviews of various standard approval requests of limited difficulty.
- Analyzing engineering technical requirements and searching technical reports to obtain information relating to projects sufficient to devise, evaluate, recommend changes to processes.
- Participating in technical and professional development programs offered by Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement staff and consulting firms, receiving training in engineering methods and practices in the pertinent requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations.
- Accompanying engineers and/or inspectors on field inspections of offshore drilling and production operations, and assisting, under close supervision, in inspections of various components.
- Assisting high-graded engineers in creating and/or maintaining databases performing analyses of the data, in addition to, entering and retrieving job-related engineering data files.
Note: These positions are eligible for conversion to the competitive service upon completion of the Pathways Intern Program requirements. Upon conversion the full performance level of this position is GS-12. Conversion to the competitive service is not guaranteed; it is at the discretion of management. Additionally, promotions to the next grade level are not guaranteed; they are at the discretion of management.
The Bureau of Safety & Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) has determined that the duties of these positions are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster.
These positions are included in a bargaining unit. The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), Local 3457, is the exclusive representative of all employees in this bargaining unit.
$38,890 – $50,557 per annum (Angleton, TX)
$33,693 – $43,801 per annum (Jefferson, LA; Houma, LA; Lake Charles, LA; Lafayette, LA)
First time hires to the Federal government normally start at the lower salary range of the grade level.
Duration of Appointment / Job Status: This is an indefinite appointment in the Excepted Service. The incumbent will work a part-time to full-time work schedule based upon school sessions and at the discretion of the supervisor.
This vacancy may be used to fill additional positions as vacancies become available.