Engineering Summer Intern 2022 (Paid)
Date: Sep 2, 2021
Location: System Wide
APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation’s freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. Our rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also through our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
- be treated with dignity and respect.
- have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
- have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our eclectic Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve and through training programs. Our actions create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.
WORK LOCATION: System Wide
START DATE: 06/01/2022
END DATE: 08/9/2022
SALARY RANGE: $4,500 per month
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing, and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to:
- Relocation Stipend
- Summer Lodging Stipend, where applicable
- Potential for offer of full-time position
- Paid Internship
The Summer Internship Program provides interns an opportunity to learn more about how our efficient, safe, and sustainable rail network supports the global supply chain. Interns gain experience in our Track, Engineering Services, Structures, Signal, Mechanical, Transportation, and Environmental departments in order to learn what it’s like to work at BNSF full-time. Operating one of the largest railroads in North America, we have countless opportunities for interns to develop their skills, create new ideas and even travel! The objective of our Summer Internship Program is to find students that will join us after graduation as part of our Management Trainee Program.
RELOCATION WILL BE REQUIRED:
- A candidate must be willing to be relocated to any location across the BNSF system for the training program.
- Relocation assistance may be provided to those who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence.
- Please refer to BNSF’s operating system at www.bnsf.com (see System Map).
- Frequent and extensive travel over a large geographic region will be required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The program begins with a two-day orientation in Fort Worth, Texas where interns receive a company overview and network with company leaders.
- The remaining time will be spent supporting on-going projects and completing on-the-job field training conducted at assigned training location which will include numerous job shadows across multiple departments.
- Work in a 24 x 7 operations environment including nights, weekends, evenings and holidays, and available for emergency situations.
- Hours are irregular with a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Work both indoors and outdoors in extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet).
- Work around heavy and moving machinery.
- Work around electronics, including electric currents.
- Work in and around bridges in elevated locations.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- I have a 2.70 or higher cumulative GPA with a degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
- Current enrollment in a Construction Management or Engineering bachelor’s or graduate degree program at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship.
- Less than three years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Ability to relocate to an assigned location within the BNSF Network for the summer.
- Valid Driver’s License.
ADDITIONALLY, QUALIFIED CANDIDATES MUST BE ABLE TO:
- Demonstrate leadership skills
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Graduation date prior to September 1, 2023
- Experience working in an engineering or construction related environment
- Experience working outdoors or in an industrial environment
- Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication skills
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours are irregular with a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Schedule could involve nights, weekends, and holidays, as BNSF is a 24 X 7 work environment.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.