This role is responsible for leading activities involving the evaluation and qualification of raw materials relevant to interior architectural coatings, investigation into quality concerns, and manufacturing support through processing/raw material investigation and on-site scale-up. This role will also assist the Interior R&D function as needed. The incumbent will have opportunities to participate on product development and commercialization teams while providing support to internal customers including management, manufacturing, quality, and procurement. In addition, this individual will also interact closely with raw material vendors. The candidate will also have a small group of three reports, who will require mentoring and assistance in developing their careers.
Reporting directly to the Sr. R&D Group Manager of Premium Products, this role will work seamlessly with the Interior Coatings and Flanders R&D groups, Procurement, Quality, and Manufacturing, and will work on initiatives related to these areas, as well as develop action plans to address areas of opportunity.
* Manage and work on multiple projects of the more technically challenging variety as well as the day to day type simultaneously
* Work with Quality and Manufacturing to address quality concerns or processing issues
* Work closely with Procurement in defining project goals
* Work cross-functionally with Product Marketing and Technology to develop new products and make product improvements
* Prepare timely reports and provide updates on project status, using good data collection and analytical skills
* Establishes clear timelines through project plans and resource management
* Coordinate/participate in scale-up as required
* Perform product performance and application testing
* Manage and train junior personnel; grow self and team
* Manages technical relationship with vendors
* Adhere to all safety guidelines
* Possess strong knowledge of application techniques including spray
* Possess working knowledge of project management tools
* Understanding of formulation software
* Proficient in Microsoft Office
* Excellent communication, presentation, and organizational skills
* Strong people and cross-functional team management skills
* Strong trouble shooter/problem solver
* Fosters team involvement within and outside the laboratory
* Work independently with limited guidance
* Other duties as assigned
* 10 + years’ experience, Interior architectural coatings experience preferred.
* Plan and lead large, cross-functional projects.
* Develops comprehensive project plans with procurement, manufacturing and key stakeholders.
* Have deep knowledge of formulation tools, techniques, performance metrics and manufacturing processes.
* Lead identification and resolution of quality issues.
* Experience across multiple product types and brands.
* Understands competitive playing field, identifies industry trends, and direction of new products.
* Actively identify, research and broadly share new ingredients, formulation tools.
* Actively participate on teams to guide planning and decision making.
* Proactively identify learning or capability building opportunities.
* Physical effort and dexterity: This role can entail some amount of lifting (40-45#).
* Visual acuity, hearing, speaking: This roles entails identifying the proper materials to use, and communicating with those around you.
* Environment and scheduling: This role can involve scale-up at manufacturing facilities that may be hot or cold depending on the time of year. In these instances more noise may be encountered (noise protection is supplied). Chemicals are used in the paint making process (proper PPE is outlined and supplied). Travel is involved as needed to attend scale-ups, alpha testing, and seminars/trade shows.
Benjamin Moore is proud to be a part of Berkshire Hathaway, which was recognized by Fortune magazine as the world’s fourth most admired company. For more than 130 years we’ve been a respected leader in the architectural coatings and home décor landscape, creating the products and tools that enrich and beautify thousands of communities each day. We recognize that our associates are the driving force behind our success and we strive to provide a work environment where hard work, creativity and purposeful collaboration are fostered and encouraged.
Join a company where innovation is constantly recognized as we look for individuals who produce world-class products, best-in-class services and customer experiences, design pioneering paints using the latest technologies, and deliver unparalleled value and brand experiences for our customers and retail network.
At Benjamin Moore, our people are the heart of the company and our number one asset. We are committed to providing safe working conditions at all of our locations and have invested heavily in measures aimed at keeping employees healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic. With safety as one of our core company values, we’ve modified facilities and work schedules to support social distancing, established enhanced cleaning and sanitization protocols, and regularly provide personal protective equipment to all employees–including masks, gloves and hand sanitizer. Ensuring the well-being of our team members is a top priority.