BDO’s Core Purpose is Helping People Thrive Every Day. Our Core Values reflect how we manage our work, our relationships and ourselves. As an employee of the firm, you will live true to our Core Values of people first, being exceptional every day in every way, embracing change, feeling empowered through knowledge and choosing accountability. Our Core Values are the standards by which we conduct ourselves day in and day out, both internally and externally.
Our Specialized Tax Services (“STS”) Research & Development (“R&D”) business has gone through tremendous growth and continues to expand rapidly. The STS R&D Internship presents a unique opportunity to gain hands on experience in one of BDO’s premiere national consulting practices.
As an STS R&D Intern, you will help achieve BDO’s core purpose—helping people thrive every day—by helping companies and individuals identify and claim government incentives designed to promote innovation and economic and job growth in the U.S. Like the R&D Tax Credit.
Our clients are leaders in innovation in virtually every industry, from technology, manufacturing, life sciences, and healthcare to retail, consumer products, and natural resources. As an STS R&D Associate, you will have the opportunity and charge to innovate as well, collaborating with BDOers in all of our business lines as well as with our clients’ innovation leaders, in tax, accounting, and finance, and also in their R&D, engineering, software, manufacturing, scientific, medical, and other R&D-related departments.
STS R&D’s short-term mission is to help our clients as efficiently and effectively as possible identify, document, and support on examination by tax authorities all of the R&D-related incentives to which they are legally entitled. Our longer term goal is to develop an understanding of them as people and of all aspects of their business so that we are well positioned as their trusted advisors, as professionals who understand both their business operations and business drivers as well as how BDO can help them realize their goals.
In pursuing this mission, we are also seeking to help our STS R&D Interns gain first-hand experience in becoming trusted advisors, ensuring they have a clear sense of the importance and responsibilities of such a role, as well as the training and opportunities to fill it.
Toward that end, STS R&D Interns pursue opportunities to enable them to gain and improve their skills in every aspect of professional service, including technical, interpersonal, oral and written communication, project management, practice management, and business development.
More specifically, STS R&D Interns responsibilities include, e.g.:
– Proactively assisting in the execution of multiple client engagements
– Collaborating with other STS R&Ders in all aspects of our business, e.g., innovating; developing and implementing better strategies and processes for our services, marketing, etc.
– Establishing effective working relationships directly with STS R&Ders and other BDOers
– Contributing to the development of your own and to STS R&D’s technical acumen
– Assisting in business development research and identification of opportunities for new and existing clients
– Contributing to, supporting, and enhancing the culture of STS R&D, our local offices, and BDO as a globally leading professional services firm.
Essential Duties/Functions :
*Qualifications : Education:
– Enrolled in a Bachelors or Masters program in Accounting or other relevant field, required
– Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Word
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Strong analytical and basic research skills
– Solid organizational skills, especially ability to meet project deadlines with a focus on details
– Ability to successfully multi-task while working independently or within a group environment
– Proven ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and handle multiple projects simultaneously
– Capability to interact professionally with people at all organizational levels of the firm
– Ability to works independently within a team environment to complete responsibilities on-time and within agreed -upon deadlines
– Tendency to works to understand why a task is being performed and to seek learning opportunities
– Demonstrated interest in performing self-study to further develop technical competency and knowledge of issues impacting the R&D credit