- Hours: 24 or 40 hours per week
- Location: St. Paul, MN or Remote (anywhere within the U.S.A.)
- Start Date: January 10, 2022 (3 months internship if working 40 hrs/week OR 6 months internship if working 24 hrs/week)
- Compensation: $15.00/hour
APM Reports is the investigations and documentary unit of American Public Media, one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world, with a portfolio that includes BBC World Service and Marketplace. APM Reports has broken stories on voting suppression, the criminal justice system, housing, environmental issues, police misconduct, juvenile justice, and education. APM Reports also produces the hit investigative podcast In the Dark.
APM Reports is looking for an intern to work side by side with reporters and producers to pursue stories that bring to light neglect, corruption, and abuse of power. Interns at APM Reports are immersed in the nitty-gritty of investigative journalism — the document chasing, records requests, data-gathering, and source wrangling required to get the story. And when it comes time to produce the story, our intern will learn from the best investigative editors and producers in the business.
We believe that diversity creates a healthier atmosphere and are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals. We encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
- Team with an investigative reporter(s) to pursue a story
- Dig for information: hunt for public documents and data; background story possibilities, people and institutions; make public records requests
- Provide feedback during edits
- Transcribe taped interviews
- Call and pre-interview sources
- Partial subsidy for onsite parking or public transportation
- Eligible to accrue sick time off
- Eligible for health insurance as required under the ACA
- Participate in robust on-boarding experience
- Professional development: on-the-job training, intercultural development assessment, formal performance review feedback sessions, etc.
- Participate in brown bag sessions to gain broader perspective of the organization
- Passionate about journalism and its importance in a functioning, healthy democracy
- Hungry to learn more about the tools of investigative journalism: research skills, backgrounding, data management, and interviewing
- Highly organized, able to work on a variety of assignments and meet deadlines consistently
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate clearly with colleagues
- Research skills, digging up archival materials, finding sources
- Understanding of and interest in important national news issues
- Enrolled Sophomore, Junior, or Senior in an undergraduate or Master’s program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months
- Some journalism experience, i.e., an internship or work with a college newspaper, radio station, website or magazine.
- Experience acquiring, cleaning, and presenting data
- Experience writing open record requests
- Audio production and editing skills are a plus, but not a requirement
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What interest you about this internship?
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Required to move about in the community.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.