Major: Computer Science
Location of Internship: Menlo Park, CA
Internship Title: PhD Software Engineer Intern
• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
Meta is one of the leading tech company in the industry and it a great opportunity to be part of a company which provides services to billions of people in the world. Also, it is a great experience to work with industry leading edge technology.
• What were some of the requirements for your internship?
I was assigned to work on a single project throughout my internship period. It was related to improving the recommendation systems in Facebook marketplace using machine learning algorithms.
• What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
My favorite part about my internship experience was working with the employees, and interns and experiencing the cutting-edge technologies.
• What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?
The most challenging part of my internship was learning to use the tools, software, and existing systems. I was able to manage that by learning the things that are related to my project initially and learning the other things in the extra time.
• How did you find your internship?
Through your own self-guided research
• Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
Not only was it a requirement, but it was very beneficial to stay a full-time student.
• What advice would you give a student who is in the process of searching and applying for an internship?
My advice for the students who are applying for internships in the field of computer science is that practice data structure and algorithm-related problems as much as you can. Leetcode can be a good source for that. Also, try to get proficient in at least one programming language.