#NDSUintern Spotlight: Shashi Bhushan

Major: Environmental and Conservation Science

Company: Mayville State University

Location of Internship: Mayville, ND

Internship Title: Instructor of Biology

Why did you choose the company that you work for?

Mayville State University is a public university in North Dakota University system. It is reputed, and rich in history and heritage. It is not far from Fargo, additionally, it is funded by NSF regional body: NDEPSCoR (North Dakota Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research). I think these were important considerations for me to choose Mayville State University for my Internship.

What were some of the requirements for your internship?

Some of the requirements for this internship: This internship is only for students who are enrolled as Ph.D. candidates at NDSU or UND. The student must complete all of the coursework with a major in a STEM discipline During my internship, I taught a class of 20+ Undergraduate, freshmen, Biology 150, and took associated laboratory sessions. I evaluated their assignments, exams, and quizzes. Additionally, I got a few opportunities to create questions for the student evaluations.

• What is your favorite part about your internship experience?

This internship gave me an opportunity to teach a class. It was the first time in my life. When you teach, you are just not involved in science but also with students, who are young, passionate, and have sparks in their eyes. I just loved all of it.

• What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?

Teaching is challenging. It requires a lot of planning, a good mindset, and a passion to share knowledge. You need to maintain these elements for the whole semester. As it was my first teaching experience, I struggled a bit. But I took it as a challenge and learning opportunity and put in more effort. In the end, things became easygoing and joyful.

• How did you find your internship?

Through your own self-guided research

• Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?

Internship credit helps you get additional credits and help you toward degree requirement.

• What advice would you give a student who is in the process of searching and applying for an internship?

Communication is key. Students must consult the Career and Advising Center and get to know the resources. They can learn to write an effective cover letter and format a resume. The cover letter and resume, if structured properly, can help the employer to understand a student’s credentials and eventually screen the profiles. This is the first and most crucial step to getting hired for an internship.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program