#NDSUintern Spotlight: Sam Huffman

Major: Business Administration and Marketing – Company: Marsh & McLennan Agency – Location of Internship: Fargo, ND – Internship Title: Insurance Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I had heard about MMA through one of my sales classes and had met them at a college fair. After getting to know the leadership team, I wanted to pursue this company.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • Our internship consists of rotations through three separate departments. We get the opportunity to shadow and work directly with industry leaders through their day-to-day work life.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part was meeting everyone in the office through in-office gatherings!
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • There’s a lot of technical language associated with insurance, thankfully MMA has learning resources so I can continue my education on these topics.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through the NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • Along with getting college credit and getting paid for it, the sales certificate program I’m apart of has an internship requirement. It’s beneficial to know I’m getting hands on experience while also working towards my degree!
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • Look for a company that truly wants what you bring to the table. Finding the right fit can make or break an internship. Talk to your professors or advisors to see what works for you!

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program