#NDSUintern Spotlight: Austin Berning

Major: Finance – Company: Northwestern Mutual – Location of Internship: St. Cloud, MN – Internship Title: Financial Advisor

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I wanted to help people with their personal finances and to protect their wealth for the future.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • A few requirements were to get licensed to sell insurance and being outgoing to help people.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • I loved being able to help and be apart of a great team.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • Most challenging is to keep a level head and keep trying each day to be consistent. This will create success through the job.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through a personal connection
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • It’s great because it is giving me experience in the field, and it is beneficial for me because I can work and be able to get credits for it.

• What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • Keep up the work, definitely don’t stop looking. It’s a great experience and even if you are nervous, I promise you’ll love it. It provides great experience, not just in the field you’re going for, but to also give you the experience of what work actually looks like after college.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program