#NDSUintern Spotlight: Claire Schmitt

Major: Biological Sciences Company: Wurth Industry of North America Location of Internship: Brooklyn Park, MN – Internship Title: Business Development Specialist

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I chose this company because of the atmosphere that they displayed when I toured and interviewed. They provide lots of personal development and learning opportunities.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • I am required to work 300 hours to acquire the Professional Selling Certificate. I am currently finding and evaluating different prospects, sending leverage letters, and cold calling. This all helps our national sales teams land meeting and secure contracts with different countries.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part about my experience is the feedback I receive. I feel very valued by my superiors and colleagues.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part is the research required to delve into the deep depths of Google. We have a lot of companies in our database already which means that the 8th and 9th pages of Google are where I need to start.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through the NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • Yes, being that it is required for the Professional Selling Certificate, it counts towards completing that section.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • Be yourself and create company expectations. I care more about the company rather than what I’m selling.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program