#NDSUintern Spotlight: Anna DeFranco

Major: Marketing – Company: Border States Electric  – Location of Internship: Fargo, ND – Internship Title: Content Marketing Research Intern

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • Border States had a set project for me where I would be doing research to help them market towards their customers. Border States is one of the largest 100% employee-owned companies in the United States, they truly value their employees and it was something that really spoke to me.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
  • I have weekly meetings with my team and supervisor where we talk about everything going on in the department. My job in these meetings is to talk about the progress of the project I am working on and ask their thoughts, opinions and give them time to ask questions. I also get the opportunity to meet other Employee-Owners and learn about their jobs and get more of an in-depth view on the company.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • I love the team I am working with. They are incredible at what they do, and I am always in awe of them. They welcomed me with open arms and have taught me so much. I also love meeting the other interns and getting to know them and what they are doing at Border States.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • One of the hardest things during this internship that I have faced was that I had no prior knowledge of the industry. I have been learning as I go by always asking questions and taking in what I am being taught.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through a personal connection
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • It was not required for my major but I feel that it has been beneficial because I had to do research on Border States and learn about their history.

• What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • Some advice I was given on my first day by Kelli Bohn, who works with the internship program, was “Always say yes to every opportunity”. I made it a point to say yes to every opportunity I have been given at Border States. Whether that was going to lunch with my team, sitting in on a meeting, or taking a walk with the other interns. I have learned so much about not only Border States and the industry, but the other Employee-Owners and interns. So always say yes to the opportunities you are given. They could end up creating a new connection with coworkers or learning something new!

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program