Major: Mechanical Engineering – Company: Doosan Bobcat – Location of Internship: Gwinner, ND – Internship Title: Manufacturing Engineering Co-op
- Why did you choose the company that you work for?
- They build a wider variety of construction equipment, as well the entire process from unrolling the steel to shipping is done all in Gwinner.
- What were some of the requirements for your internship?
- Detailing Standard works, assist in automation process of a small part assembly, weld simulation and sequence correction. General help around the office.
- What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
Working with the weld simulation software. It is always fun to learn a new software!
- What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles?
- Learning how to ask questions and for help from colleagues, for example, when is the right time to ask. Not wasting so much time trying to figure it out when it could be a 5 minute conversation with someone. I have learned from experience. If its not something I can get solved within 2 or so hours, I believe it would be beneficial to ask one of the Specialists.
- How did you find your internship?
Through a personal connection (faculty, family, or friends)
- Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
The three credits act as one of my tech electives, which takes the course load of my final two semesters down. These semesters are the most difficult and also encompass the senior design project.
- What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
- Apply to a lot, many will not contact you back. When you get an interview the most important thing is your personality and ability to have free flowing conversation. This shows that you can communicate easily and show personality.