#NDSUintern Spotlight: Katrina Ziells

Major: Mechanical Engineering – Company: Graco Inc.  – Location of Internship: Rogers, MN- Internship Title: Manufacturing Engineer Co-op

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • Graco is a well known company with some of the best products for paint and fluid dispensing equipment. I knew they had a location here in Minnesota with positions for manufacturing so when I heard they would be attending Spring 2021 career fair I decided to apply.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    I provide support to the assembly line in my cell mainly by handling whatever they need to do their job more efficiently. I also assist in supplier quality issues, line improvements, and occasionally damaged goods. I have also been tasked with multiple projects since my start there with the goal always being continuous improvement.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • The ability to test out ideas and learn from the other engineers around me, as well as the people I work with.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging has been learning to navigate in an area where there aren’t many females to be honest. While I’ve always known that engineering is a “male dominated” field, it is different knowing about it and then actually being in that environment. Especially when you are the only female intern.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • I am able to receive a technical elective credit for my Mechanical Engineering degree and stay enrolled full time even though I am not attending for a semester.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • Apply to as many as you can and always research the company. Don’t just apply without knowing what the company does or what their internship program even looks like. Also don’t be afraid to ask questions of the interviewer about what you will be working on.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program