#NDSUintern Spotlight: Souradip Roy

Major: Computer Science – Company: Raytheon Intelligence & Space  – Location of Internship: Cambridge, MA – Internship Title: Machine Learning Research Co-Op

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • The job duties align with my research work which will help me gain knowledge about solving various challenges that a person may face while working in the industry to develop software, algorithms for the customers. It will also help me enrich my current knowledge in my specialization area. Also, Raytheon is a well known for its various defense programs and is also a very well-known company which can boost my career for the future.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    I have to perform research work in the area of machine learning, performing statistical analysis, implement various types of machine learning model also develop our own models that fit the problem statement.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • I am very excited to learn the implementation of various algorithms in a scalable manner.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The most challenging part is relocating to a different city with new surroundings. It takes some time to adjust to a new environment. Another interesting part about the challenges in this internship is that I never had the opportunity to work in my research area in a production ready software tools, which will help me learn a lot for my future.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Indeed.com
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • It will surely help when I finish my internship. It will help me substitute a part of my research credit with the internship credit, which will help me complete the required credits towards completing my PhD degree.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • I will suggest that try to look for the job roles and responsibilities that exactly match your research work or academic projects. This similarity is very important because it helps your resume to move forward to the hiring manager. Also if the work you have done is similar to the job roles and duties, then it takes a less number of tries before someone actually gets one.

By Rachana Wright
Rachana Wright Graduate Assistant - Internship Program