#NDSUintern Spotlight: Sean Gierke

Major: Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering – Company: Doosan Bobcat  – Location of Internship: Gwinner, ND – Internship Title: Manufacturing Engineer Co-op

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • Bobcat has a great reputation for their quality of work and giving co-op/interns a great experience that will help them in the future.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • One requirement that sticks out to me is the capability to use Creo and Microsoft Office. I use these on a daily basis and without prior knowledge a person could really struggle.
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • My favorite part about my experience so far is that I have the opportunity to create new parts/implements that have the possibility to be used in the everyday production. To me this is pretty cool to think that something I designed could stick around the production line for a while.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • The operators on the floor can be difficult sometimes, they can be either really helpful or really stubborn. Another part is with coming out of the pandemic supplies are low. Steel is in shortage along with chips, just like every other manufacturer across the globe. This shuts down the line and leaves the factory empty, leaving me without much to do.
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through an NDSU Career Fair
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • Registering through the Career and Advising Center ensures that I don’t have to re-apply back to NDSU when I come back to school full time.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • Apply early and apply often. I was denied 2 other internships before landing one. Keep trying because you never know who you might catch the eye of.

By Ashley Peifer
Ashley Peifer Events and Marketing Intern