#NDSUintern Spotlight: Luna Zauhar

Major: Political Science and International Studies – Company: United States Senate  – Location of Internship: Washington DC – Internship Title: Intern, specifically working with the Foreign Affairs Advisor

• Why did you choose the company that you work for?
    • I chose to work with Senator Amy Klobuchar as I have always had an interest in American politics and wanted to see what it would be like to work in the epicenter of politics. Senator Klobuchar is also my state Senator so it was a no-brainer that I would apply for her internship program.
  • What were some of the requirements for your internship?
    • We were expected to meet with with our Legislative pairings each day on any projects they may have for us. This could have included going to a hearing, news clippings, memos, research, and many other tasks. Our internship coordinators were very hands on with making the most of our experience, they set up lunch talks with different staffers and encouraged us to schedule meetings with staffers. Each day was completely different, but there was never a boring day on the Hill!
  • What is your favorite part about your internship experience?
    • There are so many parts that stand out to me it is hard to pick just one. Just being in the Capitol of the U.S. was a surreal experience. I was able to walk past politicians, explore the Capitol, and sit in on votes. However, the projects that I was assigned were exciting as I was paired with the Foreign Affairs team and I got to research, write memos, and learn more about current global issues.
  • What is the most challenging part of your internship? How have you overcome these obstacles? 
    • Truly the most challenging part of my internship was being in a new city by myself, however, it was most likely learning to work in a busy work place. Every day there was always a project, a memo, research, a hearing, etc. You were expected to be able to get the work done to quality and quick. It was fun being in a busy and exciting workplace, but it was a challenge that I was able to overcome by asking questions, meeting with staffers to understand what exactly they wanted, and having a great attitude helped as well!
  • How did you find your internship?
    • Through your own self-guided research
  • Why was it beneficial for you to register for credit(s) through the Internship Program offered through the Career and Advising Center?
    • I was told right away as a freshman to register my credits as it could help get me ahead, substitute a course, and so many other things. It was beneficial for me to register my internship for credit as it provided a written receipt that I did complete the internship.
  • What advice would you give a student who is in the process of applying for an internship?
    • Invest in yourself! Take the time out of your day to meet with professors to write a stellar cover letter, practice interview questions, and apply to as many opportunities as you can. Utilize all of the resources that NDSU has to offer as well, there are tons of people who want to see you succeed and will also invest their time into you. If it were not for Dr. Boldt, I would not have felt as confident in my internship applications.

By Ashley Peifer
Ashley Peifer Events and Marketing Intern